Special Education Department
Special education at BART addresses the needs of students with disabilities who require specially designed instruction in order to access the curriculum, both academic and non-academic. A variety of services are provided to meet the individual needs of students, from academic intervention to related services in areas such as speech/language therapy, occupational therapy, social/emotional intervention, and autism services.
Strong collaboration between special education and regular education staff allow for the delivery of services in a student-centered manner. Consultation, collaboration, and professional development enhance this joint effort to provide supports in the most appropriate inclusive setting.
Special education staff members work closely with families in order to assure that needed services are identified and provided to students in accordance with applicable mandates. A strong and positive relationship exists between BART special education staff and the Special Education Parent Advisory Council (SEPAC) to the benefit of the students, school, and families.
Special education services at BART are designed to meet the specific needs of students with disabilities in the least restrictive setting. This means that regular education classrooms have the appropriate support and allow for the education of special education students alongside their non-special education peers, as determined by the Individualized Education Program (IEP) Team.
Through IEP Team meetings, families and staff participate in making all decisions regarding special education services. These determinations are made with family involvement.
- To provide interventions, supports, and services for special education students according to state and federal mandates.
- To identify students with disabilities and to determine eligibility and the need for specially designed instruction and/or related services.
- To offer a continuum of services designed to meet the needs of special education students.
- To refine the implementation of special education service management.
- To provide professional development and training to special education and regular education staff about practices, compliance, and regulations.
For more information, contact Susan Lubell, Director of Special Education at email@example.com or 413-743-7311 x 742